Sunday, May 9, 2010

DIY Bachelorette Accessories Part 1

As Shortcake's Bachelorette approaches I've been working on a few things for her to wear. Earlier this week I looked online and at a few stores at sashes, veils, and tiaras, but I didn't find anything I loved at the right price. It seemed that most items were poorly made or those that were of better quality were quite expensive. So I thought to myself, "How hard can it be to make a sash?"

I went to Michael's Craft Store and picked up a number of things. For the sash I bought 2 yards of wide white satin ribbon, some pink sparkly iron-on letters, and a few stick on rhinestones.

I began by measuring the ribbon with a friend's help. I simply placed it over her shoulder and pinned it where it hit her hip. Later I turned it "inside out" and then sewed that spot together, creating a diagonal hem, then I trimmed it and scorched the edges with a match (so it would not unravel) and then I turned it back to the now outside, seen below.

Next I laid out the letters to spell Bachelorette and then followed the instuctions that came with the letters. Basically iron with a towel on top and then lightly go over the back of the ribbon. Lastly I added the rhinestones, which I stuck at the top and bottom of the sash. To make the sash myself was about $6. They were selling online for about $15 to $20. I will post a photo of Shortcake wearing this ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment